• ABOUT
    XIM News & Information.
  • STORE
    Purchase XIM Products.
  • FORUM
    Join The Community.

Author Topic: ***********Panther XL v3.0 /XIM3 Review************  (Read 6459 times)

Offline Patro46

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: [PXL]IvStilGotItNmE
OK. Here's the skinny. After playing with the Panther XL and the XIM3  for a spell last night, and re-arranging buttons back and forth, playing with mouse setting, ect., I can say this, as this is the first time I've really been able to  utilize anything I'm familiar with on the XIM3. In the "For what it's worth dept" while waiting for a solution for the Panther I'm pleased to say I've tried the Sony Navigator, MX518, G500 and several keyboards (all of which worked with the XIM3 without a hitch, though I'm useless with them), as well as trying 30 years worth of old controllers from Saitek to Sidewinders (though these old controllers weren't recognized) all while patiently awaiting a solution for what I personally believe is THE best FPS controller ever invented.

Well it pleases me to say it has indeed arrived! The Panther XL v3.0 (with the latest 6 series version 2 firmware) functions FLAWLESSLY on the XIM3. Movement is fluid and very accurate. Mouse setting on are both to the max of 100, and it's quite playable.  tEven though the MX518 mouse is stuck at it's default of 400 dpi). We are working on adding a few buttons to the case in order to adjust the mouse resolution. This wasn't required in windows, as software was set to the highest setting of 1800 dpi. Unfortunately, the only thing we have like a PC in this setup is the XIM3, and it doesn't have that capability. Not a real biggy. Our trusty Steveo, Panther Kingpin of the globe will have as simple and viable solution in short order. In the meantime, I'm having a blast for the first time ever on my Xbox 360! I cant wait to pop up the mouse resolution and begin improving my CODBO K/D ratio beyond the embarrassment it has been in the past.

In closing, my hat is off to OBsiV for creating the ONLY viable solution to an Xbox controller and to my good friend Steveo at Clan Assassin 3D, who without either, I'd have never been able to implement what I believe is simply the best FPS unified solution controller on the planet 8)
Why does it always take a third party to do the job right?

Offline blackopsguy

• MVP
  • Electrical/Software Engineer
    • View Profile
Re: ***********Panther XL v3.0 /XIM3 Review************
« Reply #1 on: 10:04 AM - 03/04/11 »
I see that you are playing Black ops with Panther XL. how's it going?

Honestly, I don't know if I can really play with that kind of setup. I am kb/m guy. :)
a proud owner of a XIM2, XIM3, and XIM Edge
---------------------------------
- Mouse:        Steelseries XAI Laser
- Keyboard:    Das Keyboard Model "S" Ulimate Silent
- MouseMat:   Puretrak Talent
- Monitor:      Asus 23" HDMI Monitor (VH236H)

Offline Patro46

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10:12 AM - 03/04/11 »
I see that you are playing Black ops with Panther XL. how's it going?

Honestly, I don't know if I can really play with that kind of setup. I am kb/m guy. :)

Haven't got to play since last night,  but the weekend is upon us! I'm LOVING IT!

Offline blackflag486

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: Blackflag
« Reply #3 on: 12:37 PM - 03/04/11 »
This setup is crazy looking. Would be fun to try tho! Good luck!
Awp=hax

Offline MiniFoo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02:59 PM - 03/04/11 »
I can see the appeal of a controller like this, but I have to wonder why they would have designed it so that the trackball is on the left and the joystick is on the right. You'd think it would be the other way around, or they'd make a reconfigurable solution. Glad to know you got it working, though.

Offline steveoa3d

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03:00 PM - 03/04/11 »
I can see the appeal of a controller like this, but I have to wonder why they would have designed it so that the trackball is on the left and the joystick is on the right. You'd think it would be the other way around, or they'd make a reconfigurable solution. Glad to know you got it working, though.
I have been messing around with the Logitech MX518 like I install into the Panther XL's and it looks to me like the + and - hardware buttons signal the driver to change the resolution of the mouse from 400 to 800 to 1600 by default.

Without the windows software installed, the resolution of the mouse does not change on the fly ?

So in the XIM3 does hitting the + or - button change the speed of the mouse ?

Steveo

Offline MiniFoo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03:04 PM - 03/04/11 »
Without the windows software installed, the resolution of the mouse does not change on the fly ?

Steveo

Yes, it does. No software installation is necessary for the DPI buttons to function on the MX518, mainly because the mouse doesn't have onboard memory anyway. If I'm understanding your setup correctly, you'll need to wire up two buttons to the DPI switches in order to be able to change it each time you use it with your XIM3 (or PC for that matter)

Offline steveoa3d

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03:08 PM - 03/04/11 »

It's so that your best hand (right) is used for lining up the shot, in this case you strafe with the right hand so you line up shot while strafing.  A target strafing is harder to hit than one spinning in place (mouse) so the Panther XL user is a interesting target.  A good PXL user moves very unnaturally, strafing all the time and can be much harder to shoot at.  I used to get called a "Bot" all the time because what moves like that.

This control method is nothing new, I started using the Assassin 3D controller 15 years ago when I was a tourney Quake Player, moved on to the Panther XL has not been made in 10 years but the users love them and pay $200 each for units with modern electronics.

The war of words to what is better is 15 years old, users who have used them love them and those who have never used say they are no good.......

Steveo

Offline steveoa3d

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03:13 PM - 03/04/11 »

Steveo

Yes, it does. No software installation is necessary for the DPI buttons to function on the MX518, mainly because the mouse doesn't have onboard memory anyway. If I'm understanding your setup correctly, you'll need to wire up two buttons to the DPI switches in order to be able to change it each time you use it with your XIM3 (or PC for that matter)

So does the button cycle around as in do I need to wire in two buttons or would wiring in one button make it get up to highest setting and then start at lowest again ?

I hit the MX518 + and - buttons on my windows box and nothing happens, the mouse feels exactly the same, even with software installed ?  I would think if it was a hardware change of settings the mouse would speed up in windows/mac/linux regardless of driver installs ?

Offline Nyarlathotep

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05:55 PM - 03/04/11 »
@#$%, if I'd only waited two weeks...

Honestly, I'd rather use my CH Fighterstick and Kensington Turbo Mouse; I ditched the Panther XL long ago because of repeatedly broken trigger buttons and springs (the CH Fighterstick is a "tank"). However, if switches are added to the Panther XL v. 3 for DPI, I may have to order one from Steveo and a XIM3 to go with it. I know that Steveo's modifications make the Panther XL sturdier, so durability should no longer be an issue. Of course, I just spent around $200 for a XIM2 and the Kensington Expert Mouse. :(
MadCatz Panther XL v.3 with Logitech MX518 trackball and dpi switches (1800 dpi) | XIM3 | ViewSonic VX2433wm | Turtle Beach Ear Force DSS 7.1 | Mackie 1202-VLZ3 | Audio-Technica AT803 | Audio-Technica ATH-AD700

Quote from: amak1
Cool setup man... you def earn "sound whore of the year" award lol

Offline Patro46

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07:53 PM - 03/04/11 »
Well, I'm on my 3rd or 4th hour Using my Panther XL and now, for the first time, I'm beginning to hang with the big(ger)  boys. At least now, I seem to be hanging in the middle of the bunch, which is something I've NEVER done (feel free to check my dismal Xbox stats).

Irregardless of this tiny improvement to most, this has been a monumental change to me, giving me new hope for the Xbox, and adding a "fun factor" I haven't had in quite some time. Best of all, my kids and grandkids all use the Xbox.  Maybe 'ol grandpa can give the little whipper-snappers a run for their money! Or maybe not. My oldest son always ranks in the top 1-3 in his games, and he uses a conventional Xbox controller.  Some seem to be quite fluent using the Microsoft Xbox 360 Approved Swizzle Stick. To each their own. Im also betting since the XIM3 has been released, many of these "whipper snapper's" have probably received a well deserved spanking from somebody sporting an XIM3 and their favorite controller. Ahhhhh...... Life IS good 8)

Also noted, no matter what, there is always gonna be someone better than you. The XIM doesn't make you a great player, but it DOES give us the opportunity to use what feels best to each of us, and from hangin on this board, it is indeed a very diverse collection of controllers.  In spite of this, I presume there is always gonna be a young un with better reaction time than me to put me in my place, but that goes with the territory.

In my last game, I had a guy swear I was using some form of "rapid fire", which to my knowledge I am not, unless the XIM3 or Panther is giving me an edge.

Offline AsiaticDefense

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: Asiatic Defense
  • PSN ID: Asiaticdefense22
« Reply #11 on: 08:57 PM - 03/05/11 »
but I have to wonder why they would have designed it so that the trackball is on the left and the joystick is on the right. You'd think it would be the other way around, or they'd make a reconfigurable solution.

It's so that your best hand (right) is used for lining up the shot, in this case you strafe with the right hand so you line up shot while strafing.  A target strafing is harder to hit than one spinning in place (mouse) so the Panther XL user is a interesting target.  A good PXL user moves very unnaturally, strafing all the time and can be much harder to shoot at.  I used to get called a "Bot" all the time because what moves like that.

Steveo

OMG that's so true...I'm currently playing BFBC2 on the PC using my X-65F and CST Trackball and I'm constantly accused of cheating and my clan members always say I'm very difficult to hit.

What you left out Steveo is our biggest advantage of using this set up. The traditional M/K user must use his aiming hand (the mouse hand) to preform 3 of the most important things in FPS games. Mouse hand must aim, fire and ADS.

Our biggest advantage is that we use one (left) hand to do one (1) thing, aim. The right hand handles everything else. I can acquire a target and position cross-hairs for a head shot in milliseconds while my right hand index finger squeezes off 3 round burst in perfect harmony. 

I owned the PXL maybe a month or two after it came out. I've went through 3 of them before I moved on to a CH Products 568 and Kingsington Expert Mouse trackball. I've always dominated the leaderboards and I can't wait hear the cries of the console community.

I don't have my PXL/XIM3 yet but many many thanks to OB and Steveo!
GOD BLESS Japan

Weapons of Mass Destruction:
XIM2
XIM3
Saitek X65-F
CST Pro Trackball
Panther XL V3 by Steveo
Astro Mixamp 58 Wireless
Beats by Dr. Dre Pros (PC Gaming)
Sennheiser HD 380 Pro (Console Gaming)
XBOX 360
PS3
Gaming PC w/GTX580 SLI, 4Ghz Quad, 6Gig DDR3

Offline Patro46

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 09:37 AM - 03/06/11 »
but I have to wonder why they would have designed it so that the trackball is on the left and the joystick is on the right. You'd think it would be the other way around, or they'd make a reconfigurable solution.

Steveo

OMG that's so true...I'm currently playing BFBC2 on the PC using my X-65F and CST Trackball and I'm constantly accused of cheating and my clan members always say I'm very difficult to hit.

What you left out Steveo is our biggest advantage of using this set up. The traditional M/K user must use his aiming hand (the mouse hand) to preform 3 of the most important things in FPS games. Mouse hand must aim, fire and ADS.

Our biggest advantage is that we use one (left) hand to do one (1) thing, aim. The right hand handles everything else. I can acquire a target and position cross-hairs for a head shot in milliseconds while my right hand index finger squeezes off 3 round burst in perfect harmony. 

I owned the PXL maybe a month or two after it came out. I've went through 3 of them before I moved on to a CH Products 568 and Kingsington Expert Mouse trackball. I've always dominated the leaderboards and I can't wait hear the cries of the console community.

I don't have my PXL/XIM3 yet but many many thanks to OB and Steveo!

Much faster lining up on shots (which was mainly what got me killed using the Xbox controller most of the time). I KNOW my reaction time hasn't increased but my K/D ratio sure has! It IS a bit different than PC, but it's still pretty damned close...close enough to make a hechuva difference for me! I really hope most will choose to stay with the Xbox controller....really I do.....

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 04:04 PM - 03/06/11 »
I would definitively try this if I was a lefty but right handed.
mittyz: that's my goal in life...get one of my comments/statements in someones sig.
Humble: But just a general rule, roads will never be satisfied
The roads list http://xim4.com/community/index.php?topic=33299.0
Bone PS4 | XIM4 | Latest | Benq XL2720-B | Hayate | Orbweaver+Teensy | Sony PS4 Gold | G502 | D:12K | P:1000 | COD ?

Offline AsiaticDefense

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: Asiatic Defense
  • PSN ID: Asiaticdefense22
« Reply #14 on: 11:18 PM - 03/06/11 »
I would definitively try this if I was a lefty but right handed.

I'm right handed also. It took me about a month or so to get comfortable using the trackball with my left hand. But now it's second nature. What's funny is when I'm just browsing the internet or using the PC for something other than gaming. I hate using the trackball with my left hand. So I keep a wireless mouse that has an on off switch built in, and just turn it off when I'm gaming.
GOD BLESS Japan

Weapons of Mass Destruction:
XIM2
XIM3
Saitek X65-F
CST Pro Trackball
Panther XL V3 by Steveo
Astro Mixamp 58 Wireless
Beats by Dr. Dre Pros (PC Gaming)
Sennheiser HD 380 Pro (Console Gaming)
XBOX 360
PS3