• ABOUT
    XIM News & Information.
  • STORE
    Purchase XIM Products.
  • FORUM
    Join The Community.

Author Topic: XBOX 360 - Standard, Intermediate, Expanded??  (Read 11050 times)

Online Zacharybinx34

• MVP
  • Karma [>] 9,000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
XBOX 360 - Standard, Intermediate, Expanded??
« on: 11:15 PM - 02/19/12 »
Which is best for FPS gaming (i.e. MW3)

Standard, Intermediate, Expanded???

I heard the super darks from expanded are actually worse... any truth to this?

TY
I am Spartacus!

Online Zacharybinx34

• MVP
    • View Profile
Re: XBOX 360 - Standard, Intermediate, Expanded??
« Reply #2 on: 12:16 AM - 02/20/12 »
http://www.dailytech.com/xbox+360+spring+update+improves+vga+image+quality/article7216.htm

Yeah I read that article a while back. Still doesn't really answer the question for gaming though imo.
I am Spartacus!

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
  • PS4 > Xbox One
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12:20 AM - 02/20/12 »
havent messed around with this
does it make a noticeable difference?
PS4 | C:MS | XIM Edge | 0824EX | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: QCK+ | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red | A: AKG K701 Asus Xonar Essence ST Antlion Modmic | M:G400 | D:3600 | P:500 | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

Check out my Youtube Channel: XIMGameplay
Du sprichst Deutsch? Hier gehts zum deutschen Forum

Online Zacharybinx34

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01:01 AM - 02/20/12 »
havent messed around with this
does it make a noticeable difference?

That's what I am trying to figure out.
I am Spartacus!

Offline toysrme

• 14 National Championships
  • MVP
  • FannyPAX, best avatar EVAAAR!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01:02 AM - 02/20/12 »
think photoshop and the difference between a black level of say 250 255 and 260

thats all its doing. expanding the scales for people who's display devices are washed out with HDMI
Somebody didn't read the rules before posting. You need a post count of 100 500 to talk directly to toys.
XIM Induced RAGE Video

^Global Win Rate = 46%

Online Zacharybinx34

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01:04 AM - 02/20/12 »
think photoshop and the difference between a black level of say 250 255 and 260

thats all its doing. expanding the scales for people who's display devices are washed out with HDMI

Toys, I play with a VGA cable to my 24" Samsung Monitor.

What setting is best for gaming?

thanks!
I am Spartacus!

Offline Spiiicychips

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Twitch
  • Gamertag: SpiiiCyChIpS
« Reply #7 on: 06:15 AM - 02/20/12 »
I use expanded when using a vga with my monitor.  I just went with what made the image better in my view & it happened to correlate with this =P

I see a lot of posts asking about the difference HDMI makes or the color space so let me explain what everything means and what settings you should use.

First is color space:
RGB is the actual color model while YCbCr is a way of transmitting RGB data. Movies are always mastered in YCbCr while games are rendered in RGB.

Second is reference level:
16-235 (bits) is Video (or Movie) Reference Level also know as IRE 7.5. Called standard in the Xbox 360 dashboard.
0-255 is PC Reference Level also know as IRE 0. Now here is the tricky part. When set to expanded the 360 may hard clip everything (games and movies) at <16 and 235< then remap that clipped image to full. Or it may not. Either way this does not matter because as I have found using expanded with a display that expects expanded gives a brighter image which is much better for FPS gaming since the enemies don't blend into the dark as much.

Third and finally is Display Type:
Monitors will always expect PC reference level on either VGA or HDMI input but may have the option to accept Video level over HDMI.
TVs will usually (besides old HDMI sets like Mitsubishi DLPs) expect Video reference level over HDMI and PC reference level of VGA. But just like "Monitors" may have the option to switch between the two in HDMI.

Put this all together...

Component is an analog YCbCr signal with 16-235 reference level. So setting expanded in the console does nothing in HD, only for 480p movies.

VGA is an analog RGB signal with 0-255 reference level. So setting expanded is a must since VGA is always 0-255.

HDMI (or DVI) is a digital YCbCr signal with 16-235 reference level or RGB signal with either 16-235 or 0-255 reference level. So when using RGB you have the option to choose between standard and expanded reference level depending on what type of RGB signal you want. As for YCbCr signal over HDMI I have no idea if expanded on the 360 enables superwhite or not. Anyways HDMI is the best because the 360 can output everything natively. Also since HDMI is fully digital you get slightly more 'crisp' image especially with the text. But being able to get either type of signal type complicates matters. So if you are in doubt just use YCbCr709 with standard for your 'TV' and RGB with expanded for your 'Moniter.' Now if you want to go on step further for the ultimate settings…
If using a 'Moniter' set your 360 to YCbCr709 and if your monitor picks up the image then set the console to 'Source' and call it a day.
For 'TVs' it is not as simple because TVs by default will only be looking for one specific RGB reference level over HDMI. So first see if you can rename the input to 'PC'. Second set your console to RGB. Now if you get an image then you know your TV can accept an RGB signal. Next look in the TV Menu for the HDMI Black Level. If you find the option (should only be usable with an RGB not YCbCr signal) then you know your TV can accept either type of reference level. In this case you will need to determine which one is PC level and which one is Video Level. Select the one that is PC level and set the 360 to 'expanded' and 'source' as well. But if you don't find an option to change the reference black then you will still need to determine which level your 'TV' is looking for and select that in the 360, either 'standard' or 'expanded' along with 'source' as well. Also try changing the input name to 'PC' on your TV.

So that is about it. I know this is kind of confusing but it is really simply once understand all the terms.
- from http://forum.teamxbox.com/showpost.php?s=518c207a1b6bbdeabb09b98d04cb68aa&p=13092395&postcount=3

Offline Zen

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06:53 AM - 02/20/12 »
If you're using a pc monitor it will be expecting 0-255 so use expanded. If you're using a TV screen it will most likely be expecting standard. If you want to be different then use MS own scale which is intermediate.

You can always add a grey scale to your xbox dash board to check

Offline YEESH_DALE

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07:10 AM - 02/20/12 »
I'm running VGA on standard .

The game is brighter and easier to see people imo.
Quote from: freshnsoclean12
lol that was so awesome u saved us u deserve those legendary boots!!! Hahah so Clutch...

:D

www.twitch.tv/yeesh_dale