• ABOUT
    XIM News & Information.
  • STORE
    Purchase XIM Products.
  • FORUM
    Join The Community.

Author Topic: Astro a50 not working  (Read 11734 times)

Offline Tigg3k

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: Tigg3k
Astro a50 not working
« on: 07:55 PM - 08/28/12 »
Just received an astro a50 wireless headset and I'm having problems getting the mic output to work through my Xbox controller while connected to my xim 3. Really disappointed because I've even looking forward to these coming in for quite some time now!

I'm using an authentic Microsoft wired controller.

Mic works through other controllers, and even confirmed the same controller works when connected to Xbox directly. And I've been usin the same setup with my astro mix amp and Sennheiser pc360 without a problem for quite some time now

I can't/won't give up my xim... Please help!!!

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
Re: Astro a50 not working
« Reply #1 on: 08:17 PM - 08/28/12 »
I know others use this headset. Hopefully one will reply with some advice.
Get the most out of your XIM4, read the XIM4 Support FAQ.

Offline Tigg3k

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: Tigg3k
« Reply #2 on: 08:33 PM - 08/28/12 »
Thanks for chiming in so quickly obsiv!

To elaborate more on my setup, I'm currently using:
Xim 3 20120824ex firmware
Authentic Microsoft wired controller
Logitech g9x
Sony Nav

Astro a50 wireless:
Tx powered by mini-USB to USB into back of Xbox
Monster optical cable Xbox optical out to tx optical in
Astro firmware up to date
Xbox chat cable from headset to controller.

Game volume and incoming chat work fine but I'm getting no chat output.

My previous setup:
Astro mix amp 5.8 (wireless)
Fiio x11 amp
Sennheiser pc360
All wired same as current

I'm pretty impressed with the sound on the a50, and loving how few cable I have to trip over... Hope someone has figured out how to make this work.

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
  • PS4 > Xbox One
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09:42 PM - 08/28/12 »
you pick a50 over pc 360??? lol :P:P

so you are saying that

xim + controller + mixamp + pc360 mic works
but
xim + controller + mixmamp + a50 mic doesnt, is that correct?
in addition
controller + mixamp + a50 mic works (so as soon as xim is involved the mic doesnt work, right?)

while you are at it, can you do me a favour and try the following?
ive read abit through the astro forum, and there are a lot of similar complaints, sadly no responses
http://forums.astrogaming.com/showthread.php?27438-A50-s-Mic-Issue
scream into your microphone when being attached to the xim and see if someone can hear you very silently
best way is to have two people in the party so both can try to hear you

edit:

oh man, ive read more into the astro forums
the a50 is pretty new, and man it has a ton of known problems
the astro team is trying to release firmwares to solve this, popular problems are your problem, broken playback feature

edit2:
ive digged a bit deeper into it by reading some very technical orientated forums in my own language
(sorry, but its not in english)
they found out its a problem with the transmitting of the signals, there are interferences that astro wasnt aware of (lmao)
also the battery seems to be pretty cheap made, lots of returns due to weak batteries...
man, i knew astro isnt famous for HQ, but this leaves me speachless... :(
sounds like they released a beta headset...

anyhow, there is one HUGE complaint topic in the astro forums that you might want to check out while we try to solve your problem here
http://forums.astrogaming.com/showthread.php?27105-Astro-a50-updates-and-firmware-news

besides all the problems that are reported, lets try if we can solve it on our own
so for the first please answer my first question ;)
PS4 | C:MS | XIM Edge | 0824EX | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: QCK+ | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red | A: AKG K701 Asus Xonar Essence ST Antlion Modmic | M:G400 | D:3600 | P:500 | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

Check out my Youtube Channel: XIMGameplay
Du sprichst Deutsch? Hier gehts zum deutschen Forum

Offline lastday

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11:11 PM - 08/28/12 »
I had the exact same problem you have, posted here (http://www.xim3.com/community/index.php?topic=22141.0) and couldn't find a solution. So I planned on waiting for an update to the A50 in the hopes that that would fix the problem. Then I had another problem with the A50 when I updated it, contacted their support about it, and they sent me a replacement. The replacement works just fine with the XIM, so I don't think the XIM is the problem. So I suggest you contact Astro support about it.

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
  • PS4 > Xbox One
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09:16 AM - 08/29/12 »
thanks for the information

it really seems that this lately released headset is full or errors
hopefully a replacement can solve it for you!
PS4 | C:MS | XIM Edge | 0824EX | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: QCK+ | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red | A: AKG K701 Asus Xonar Essence ST Antlion Modmic | M:G400 | D:3600 | P:500 | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

Offline LoR_NiKoN

• View Profile
    • Total XB
  • Gamertag: L0R NiKoN
« Reply #6 on: 10:12 AM - 09/17/12 »
Hi All,

Just thought i would mention that i have the same issue with my A50's when connected to a wired controller.. this issue is nothing to do with the XIM3.

I raised a support request with Astro and this is what i got back.

Hi Glen,

There is a different type of resistor in the wired controllers that causes this problem.
Do you normally use wired or wireless controllers?

Regards

So this is an issue with their design of the A50's.... Im thinking that mine may be going back as this defeats the point as i play all my FPS games with my XIM3 so this means the A50s are pointless as a wireless solution and i may as well stick with my A40's...

Its also worth mentioning there is a work around to your issue also, when your connected to a wired controller and using the A50's you will also need to plus in a USB cable (play and charge) into the A50s for the Party/Chat functions to work.

Hope this helps and when i hear back from Astro support again i will let you know.
XIM3
Standard Wired Controller
Logitech G500
Logitech G13
Astro Mixamp + A40's

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
  • PS4 > Xbox One
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10:32 AM - 09/17/12 »
Lor id return the a50 and get something of value, astro really aint the company you want to get products from :(

Offline LoR_NiKoN

• View Profile
    • Total XB
  • Gamertag: L0R NiKoN
« Reply #8 on: 12:52 AM - 09/18/12 »
Lor id return the a50 and get something of value, astro really aint the company you want to get products from :(

I liked the A40's and the A50 sound Really good but if i dont get this resolved by the astro support team i may end up giving the warheads a try seeing as they are completely wireless.
XIM3
Standard Wired Controller
Logitech G500
Logitech G13
Astro Mixamp + A40's

Offline Plantie68

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: Plantie68
« Reply #9 on: 08:47 AM - 09/18/12 »
Hi

I have the same issue with a new set of A50's, please see the quote from my support case;

"The voice issue is down to a resistor in the headset. The few new headsets we received unfortunately didn't have the correct resistor in. We are, however, expecting the re-worked headsets to arrive directly from China soon"

Im not sure of the timescale of soon!!

Plantie

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
  • PS4 > Xbox One
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09:13 AM - 09/18/12 »

I liked the A40's and the A50 sound Really good but if i dont get this resolved by the astro support team i may end up giving the warheads a try seeing as they are completely wireless.

still garbade, please dont get them
rather buy some decent headphones + mic for the 400$ and you have a setup that is multiple times better than any tritton, turtle beach or astro wannabe headset ;)