• ABOUT
    XIM News & Information.
  • STORE
    Purchase XIM Products.
  • FORUM
    Join The Community.

Author Topic: R.A.T. 7 Mouse Problems  (Read 26852 times)

Offline Natorius

• View Profile
R.A.T. 7 Mouse Problems
« on: 08:21 PM - 02/11/11 »
I got my XIM3 earlier today in the mail and went to test it out but I'm running into a little bit of problems with the configuration and with my mouse working correctly.

For whatever reason even at the highest dpi setting on my mouse, I can't hit the max turn speed in Halo Reach even with 100 sensitivity and 1.00 acceleration,  when I don't use a smart translator it is a little better but not by a whole lot.

I plugged in an old Razer Diamondback and have more luck getting that to work, so I hope I can work on getting my RAT working.

The other issue I'm having with the mouse is it seems as if any time the mouse is plugged in it is constantly pressing one of 3 buttons.  Either Aux 4, 6 or 8.  I'm assuming this is because the RAT has a profile switcher button, and 4/6/8 are what it "presses" while the profile is on.  Because of this I'm completely unable to configure buttons when the mouse is plugged in.

Offline exc

• View Profile
Re: R.A.T. 7 Mouse Problems
« Reply #1 on: 11:52 PM - 02/11/11 »
You're not alone. I have the same problems. In the interest of consolidating information about the mouse to one thread, here's what I posted in another thread:

I have the same mouse (Cyborg R.A.T. 7) and I'm having a few problems with it.

First off, I'm having problems using it when attempting to editing the config's buttons. Depending on what mode (set by a three-way toggle button on the mouse - presumably so one can switch between button mappings on PC) the mouse is in, the XIM 3 will register either Aux4, Aux5, or Aux6 as being pushed constantly. This makes it impossible to configure the bindings while the mouse is connected to the XIM since the XIM is constantly getting an Aux4/5/6 input. I hooked up the mouse to my PC and used the mouse software to try to stop this from happening, but had no luck. I was able to edit the config's buttons by hooking up an old mouse to the XIM and binding the left, right, middle, back, and forward mouse buttons to Xbox buttons. I haven't yet attempted to make use of either of the mouse's scroll wheels.

The main problem I'm having is related to sensitivity as I'm unable to find something that works and I'm pretty sure there is something going wrong. Some background and testing I've done:
- XIM is flashed with the 20110202-BETA drop (I've also tried the older version to no avail).
- Mouse is plugged into the preferred port.
- Mouse has variable sensitivity 25-5600dpi in 25dpi steps.
- Using the mouse's PC software, I have ensured that the maximum sensitivity is set to 5600dpi.
- While in Black Ops and Modern Warfare 2, I have confirmed that the mouse is operating at the maximum of the four sensitivities by clicking through the four sensitivity modes (5600/3200/1600/800dpi).
- My in-game sensitivity in Black Ops and Modern Warfare 2 is set to the maximum value, 10.
- XIM is using the appropriate smart translator.
- With acceleration set to 0.00 and sensitivity set to 100.00 on the XIM, a 360 degree turn in Black Ops takes about 2.75 inches of (slow and steady) mouse movement.
- For comparison, when using my Logitech Performance MX mouse (1000dpi if I'm correct) with acceleration 0.00 and sensitivity 100.00, a 360 degree turn take a little bit more than 2 inches of mouse movement.

Reading through other people's comments that contain their mouse's dpi and XIM sensitivity, my results seem way off and indicative of a problem. Off the top of my head, other people who use mice with similar (or even lower) dpi, have posted that they use sensitivity values in the 5 to 20 range. If I set my XIM sensitivity to 20, it'd take me 12+ inches of mouse movement to do a 360 degree turn.

If anyone with the same mouse has had similar problems, or has encountered no problems at all, I'd like to hear about it.

I went out today and picked up a Logitech G500 and will probably be returning the R.A.T. 7 unless I can get it working with the XIM.

Offline Natorius

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12:34 AM - 02/12/11 »
I love this mouse. I'd hate to see it go unsupported. :(

Offline Natorius

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01:46 PM - 02/15/11 »
Are we just out of luck with this or is it possibly going to get worked on? I really don't want to buy a different mouse, this one is far too comfortable for that.

Offline Mpowered

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04:51 PM - 02/15/11 »
Dang. This is the mouse that I have. Will probably pick up a G500 just in case this doesnt get resolved.
Xim3 with Logitech G15 and G500

Offline vantim

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12:12 PM - 02/21/11 »
Hi Everybody.   I've been using this mouse for a few months now.  I have a few issues with it.  One issue I have is you need a rather large area for it to be effective.   If you're trying to use the mouse on a small mouse pad, you'll have to frequently pick the mouse up to reposition it.  Normally that's not an issue, but this mouse is large and difficult to do that with.  You lose valuable time.   This I can forgive.

What I cannot forgive is the problem with the tracking lasers.  At various times the mouse hits a wall and the Z axis will not move.  It appears the mouse doesn't like dark mouse pads.   I originally thought it may have been crap on the optics, but it's just not the case. A quick slam onto the pad fixes it for a while.   I'm seeing more and more of this issue as I search across the web.  Reports say that light colored mouse pads and the S&S steel mouse pads seem to be the best ones.  Right now,  I've got my G5 mouse plugged in for a backup.   This sucks.  Pay $100 for a mouse that doesn't work right.

"Hardware, n.: The parts of a computer system that can be kicked."
"BUG, n.: An undesirable, poorly-understood undocumented feature."

Offline KeepinItHamsta

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03:34 PM - 02/21/11 »
RAT7 might as well not work at all.  Had to configure key bindings with the girlfriend's Mamba and then realized the movement is just completely terrible.  The RAT7 is amazing for PC gaming.  Not so much for XIM3 considering it takes maybe an inch of movement for a 360 turn in CS and a few inches with high sensitivity set everywhere for the XIM3.
« Last Edit: 03:38 PM - 02/21/11 by KeepinItHamsta »

Offline Natorius

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03:40 PM - 02/21/11 »
Using a Razer Scarab pad, perfect tracking on it. I'm already out of my return window so buying another mouse isn't exactly an option.

Offline Pritesh

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07:45 PM - 02/21/11 »
So is the RAT7 not compatible at all? I remember I had problems with compatibility issues with my friends xbox adapter (Don't even remember what it was called) it kept pressing wrong buttons when I moved the mouse...

Hate to see the xim3 not compatible with this... :X I love my RAT7 for crysis wars

Offline Natorius

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09:10 PM - 02/21/11 »
It does work, the two problems are it won't use it's correct dpi so you'll have to use a far higher than normal setting for sensitivity.

Other problem is depending on which profile is selected the mouse constantly "presses" either Aux 4, Aux 6 or Aux 8. All this means is you won't be able to program the extra buttons on the XIM and any time you want to configure buttons you'll need to use a different mouse, as having the RAT plugged in will just set buttons to one of the Aux numbers.

Offline Natorius

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03:35 PM - 02/26/11 »
Another bump. If there are no plans on fixing the dpi issue it would be nice to know.

Offline KrazyKarl

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: x1ArmBanditx
« Reply #11 on: 09:56 PM - 02/26/11 »
i think the problem is that the rat 7 does not have onboard memory, so when u unplug it from your pc and connect it to the xim the mouse is at its default dpi setting, which is probably really low.....
G700@5700@1000hz

Offline Natorius

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10:32 PM - 02/26/11 »
i think the problem is that the rat 7 does not have onboard memory, so when u unplug it from your pc and connect it to the xim the mouse is at its default dpi setting, which is probably really low.....

It definitely has onboard memory, as plugging it into my roommates computer and my girlfriends computer still has the mouse act the way it's supposed to.  Neither of those computers have the software or drivers installed.

It also has a DPI switcher button with 4 total dpi profiles, all of which work on the XIM when plugged into it.  The mouse at 5600 DPI is -slower- than my old mouse that is only 1600 DPI, this is a problem that is now completely being ignored after pms and it is a little irritating. 

If it can't be fixed or won't be worked on then I'd like to know, if it is weeks in the future that it might be fixed then that's fine.  Just want to know if I need to buy a new mouse, something that I'm really trying to avoid because it is now too late for me to return this mouse.

Offline KrazyKarl

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: x1ArmBanditx
« Reply #13 on: 12:58 AM - 02/27/11 »
the rat does NOT have onboard memory, this is straight from their website

go read it for yourself  http://www.cyborggaming.com/support.htm

but it does say it saves the dpi setting, so your dpi shouldnt be a prob but the rat will not save any info for the extra buttons
G700@5700@1000hz

Offline Natorius

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 08:41 AM - 02/27/11 »
Point still stands. Dpi should be working but isn't. I couldn't care less about the buttons.

Using 65 primary/100 secondary with a 5600 dpi mouse on Black Ops makes me sad.
« Last Edit: 08:46 AM - 02/27/11 by Natorius »