• ABOUT
    XIM News & Information.
  • STORE
    Purchase XIM Products.
  • FORUM
    Join The Community.

Author Topic: Anyone else getting voice "buzzing" when using a headset through the XIM3?  (Read 11799 times)

Offline trompete

• View Profile
I spent the weekend playing Black Ops with a party of friends, and they all reported that what is normally a crystal clear voice had a bit of buzzing to it.

I use the Tritton AX-720 headset, which plugs into my Xbox via the controller mic port and optical out while plugging into my PC via the USB port.

What's also interesting is that leaving my headphones plugged into my controller while the Xim/Xbox were off resulted in the buzzing sound in my voice while using Ventrillo on PC. Once I disconnected the mic cord from my controller, the buzzing went completely away.

I never had any problems with buzzing when I left my headset plugged into both my controller that was plugged into my xbox and my PC before putting the XIM3 in between.

Do you think there is some sort of voltage differential or EM interference going on?

Offline Elzizo

• View Profile
I concur that this has also been a problem for myself. I am using the same hardware as Trompete.

Offline sebastian9

• MVP
    • View Profile
This is normal for Tritton headsets. They aren't very good to say the least. You shouldn't have expected a quality purchase.

Offline Edwood

• MVP
    • View Profile
Sounds like a ground loop.

Try the Tritton without being plugged into the PC and listen for the buzz again.  If there's no buzz, it's the computer.

If there's still a buzing noise, do you have cable internet / TV?  Often times that is also the cause, you'll need to use a ground loop isolator you can get from Radio Shack or other places.

Although it sounds like the XBox may be the cause.  I get some high pitched noise with headset usage with wired controller with my XIM2 + Astro A40.
XIM4 + Run and Gun = Fun.

Offline CrossCrucial

• View Profile
ground loops are a @#$%. If that's the case, I hope an isolator works for you. you can even find them on amazon for $15-20 if I remember correctly.

Offline trompete

• View Profile
This is normal for Tritton headsets. They aren't very good to say the least. You shouldn't have expected a quality purchase.

I didn't have a problem with the headset until I plugged it in through the XIM3. They have otherwise been amazing.

Why even reply if you're just gonna troll me about not being clairvoyant a year ago about static that would occur in a device that didn't even exist yet?

Offline trompete

• View Profile
Thanks for the tips about a ground loop. I'll give unplugging the USB a try as soon as there is somebody from my crew available to party chat and test it.

Offline [SCA]COBRA

• View Profile

Any chance this moron can be booted from the forums?

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
I actually agree with him. Tritton 720's are terrible. Pick up a thirty dollar headset from best buy named Plantronics Gamecom. It's a stereo headset and it still beats the 720's in terms of audio quality, build quality, and it doesn't buzz. It's not even 5.1 and it's better than the 720's.
Have a problem with your XIM4? Find a solution in the XIM4 Support FAQ
XIM4 User Manual   |   XIM Instructional Videos

Offline sebastian9

• MVP
    • View Profile
Any chance this moron can be booted from the forums? 

How are those constricting blood vessel managing in your minuscule brain knowing that I'm still here? Let's hope you don't have a stroke.

Offline ColtsFan

• View Profile
I actually agree with him. Tritton 720's are terrible. Pick up a thirty dollar headset from best buy named Plantronics Gamecom. It's a stereo headset and it still beats the 720's in terms of audio quality, build quality, and it doesn't buzz. It's not even 5.1 and it's better than the 720's.

I'm showing $50 for those headphones, are these the ones you are talking about?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Plantronics+-+GameCom+377+Over-the-Head+Stereo+Headset/8978403.p?id=1218004379967&skuId=8978403&st=Plantronics%20Gamecom&cp=1&lp=1

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
  • PS4 > Xbox One
    • View Profile
dont buy plantronics

plantronics focus is always on the weight of the headset
ofc this isnt bad, but the way they interpret it is bad
the headsets are usually made out of light plastic which doesnt make it very resistable
a fall from a higher heigth and you can go for a new one

the headset itself isnt bad, just the way its made could be a bit more improved
PS4 | C:MS | XIM Edge | 0824EX | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: QCK+ | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red | A: AKG K701 Asus Xonar Essence ST Antlion Modmic | M:G400 | D:3600 | P:500 | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

Check out my Youtube Channel: XIMGameplay
Du sprichst Deutsch? Hier gehts zum deutschen Forum

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
I'm showing $50 for those headphones, are these the ones you are talking about?

I know they weren't on sale, best buy must have just raised the price. They are still $30 on amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Plantronics-GameCom-Open-Ear-Gaming-Headset/dp/B00309D4BU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1298150429&sr=8-2

dont buy plantronics

plantronics focus is always on the weight of the headset
ofc this isnt bad, but the way they interpret it is bad
the headsets are usually made out of light plastic which doesnt make it very resistable
a fall from a higher heigth and you can go for a new one

the headset itself isnt bad, just the way its made could be a bit more improved

Yes there are better headsets out there, my point is that a $30 headset outperforms a $120 headset. I wasn't talking about build quality before, only audio quality. But why not. Although the build quality is good enough to last two + years on the gamecom's I can't say the same for the the trittons. They feel cheap in your hands and they are very stiff, it's like putting on a helmet. I would take the gamecoms over the 720's any day.
Have a problem with your XIM4? Find a solution in the XIM4 Support FAQ
XIM4 User Manual   |   XIM Instructional Videos

Offline xavier_s37

• MVP
    • View Profile
ok im back with some findings... i know where the noise is coming from (or at least my noise) i was getting the same "buzzing" depending on how much voice i mixed into the sound, then one day while in the lobby, it just stopped. i was trying to figure out what was different, when suddenly it started again. long story short, i found out it was the lights in my house (specifically the ones on the same circuit as the mancave). when switched on, i get the feedback, when off its crystal clear.

so now to find a nice surge protector that cleans the power, hopefully that will alleviate my issue so i dont have to turn the lights off when gaming.

Offline Imager

• View Profile
I am having the same buzzing problem too.

Last night was my first night with XIM3.
I was with a group of XIMMERs.... got kicked out because I was buzzing.
I had a $20 made for cellphone headset and it buzzed. (no problem before XIM3)
I switched to another Coby headset.. same problem.

Today, I went to Fry's and brought a Turtle Beach X11.
Tried it out and had the same buzzing problem.

I have tried switching out wired controller... same buzzing issue.
So I think it is the XIM3.
XImager (Xbox GameTag)... G9x G13... Warcraft, Starcraft, Battlefield 1942, America's Army than quit cold turkey for 9 years.  Now my girls are into FPS games and I am getting killed... I need a keyboard and mouse.